Buddy Roberts to be Installed
The Hopewell ARP Church invites the members of the churches in the Tennessee-Alabama Presbytery to the installation of Rev. H. L. “Buddy” Roberts as its pastor this Sunday, Oct. 28, 2012, at 11 a.m. Dr. Charles Edgar will preach and lead the commission of our presbytery charged with Rev. Robert’s installation. Lunch will follow the service. Hopewell Church is located at 3886 Hopewell Road in Culleoka, TN.
Rev. Roberts stated, “We realize that this being on Sunday morning may make it impossible or difficult for very many to attend, as it conflicts with the worship of most of our churches. However, we want to invite anyone who might be able to attend to come and share with us this time of worship, celebration and fellowship.”
–Scott Mitchell, stated clerk, TN/AL Presbytery
More Fall Presbytery Meeting Highlights
Met at the Lauderdale Church in Lexington, VA.
- Heard plans from the Christian Education Committee to have a Presbytery Discipleship Makers Equipping Conference next spring.
- Had a period of prayer.
- Approved Rev. Tony Nix as supply pastor for the Timber Ridge congregation.
- Heard a communication from Tim Bowers that he has resigned as mission developer for the Haymarket work.
- Approved the request of Tim Bowers to be released from the office of ministry.
- Dissolved the provisional session that had been appointed for the Haymarket Mission.
- The ONA Committee is “actively recruiting a church planter for a new mission work in Virginia Presbytery and interested parties are to call David Vance at 540-449-3620.”
- Heard that the Redeemer congregation will soon move into their new building and accepted an invitation from Redeemer to meet there for the Spring Meeting on March 16.
- Elected Robert G. Gordon as moderator.
The Canadian Presbytery convened as a Court of the Church on Thursday, Sept. 27-28, 2012. Covenanters ARP Church (Cambridge, NS) acted as the host congregation for these meetings.
- Rev. Kevin Carter (Covenanters ARP Church) moderated the meeting. Sixteen (16) presbyters were in attendance.
- Dr. Steven Suits (ARP Moderator) addressed the presbyters on the confessional reasons for a synod’s existence, its responsibilities and mandate.
- The presbytery budget for 2013 was presented and approved.
- The Standing Committees of the presbytery were reorganized from 6 committees to 3 committees in order to streamline the operations of the committees and to ensure enough committee members would be available for meetings.
- The presbytery approved of the continued exploration of a proposed church plant in the Kingston, ON area. A committee is preparing more information to be presented to presbytery in the spring as to the viability of this work.
- Faith Presbyterian in Tillsonburg, ON, applied for and was accepted for mission status in the Canadian Presbytery.
- Rev. Stephen Richardson was appointed as the stated supply for the Faith ARP Mission in Tillsonburg, while Rev. Henry Bartsch was appointed as the interim moderator of the provisional session in Tillsonburg.
- Dr. Ben Dunson was released as a student of theology from the Canadian Presbytery as Dr. Dunson has accepted a position teaching at Reformation Bible College in Florida.
- Rev. Andrew Savill gave an encouraging report on the ongoing work at Mt. Zion ARP in Moncton, NB.
- Trinity Presbyterian Church (Woodstock, NB) reported on their continuing search for a new pastor and their need for assistance with pulpit supply.
- The next scheduled meeting of the Canadian Presbytery is the 2013 Stated Spring Meeting scheduled for April 25-26/12 with the congregation of Trinity ARP Church (Chatham, ON) acting as hosts.