AGENCY BOARD MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
Christian Education Ministries
Feb.11-13 at Bonclarken Conference Center
- An extra day of strategic planning led by Dr. Wilfred Bellamy, considering Synod’s directives for CEM and how to more effectively impact the denomination for Christian Education.
- Focused on aspects of CEM’s purpose as set out in the FOG Chapter 1-C, “The Mission and Message of the Church,” the Board developed objectives: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time bound.
- The approval of CEM’s new curriculum plan for discipling to maturity every believer, and its distribution at Synod 2013 (CEM’s Scope and Sequence Plan).
- CEM’s oversight of Family Bible Conference.
- The developing plans for monthly online training for churches.
- The addition of Camp Joy’s new location in 2013 in Aiken, SC.
- The offering of App Out – a new ministry to help small ARP churches and church plants. Experienced church groups who have participated in Appalachia in past years partner with ARP churches and church plants to assist in evangelism.
- Mark Ross and his work as editor of the Adult Quarterly and its availability electronically.
- The ongoing contact with every ARP church within two years to find out how CEM can specifically help them.
- New college age retreat “Capstone” with Rebekah Harkins as director. Philip Bunch was approved as speaker for 2013.
- Three Disciple Makers training conferences have been scheduled for 2013: Virginia, Mississippi Valley, and Florida Presbyteries. Discussed addition of two training sessions in the fall.
January 22, 2013
- Accepted an invitation from Gordon Conwell Seminary to hold a future meeting at the seminary and gave the stated clerk permission to work out the date.
- Heard two first readings to the Presbytery Manual of Procedure.
- Approved Rev. Doug Petersen as stated supply and moderator of the session at the Westminster Church, Albemarle, NC.
- Approved the request from the New Perth Church to appoint the Rev. Robert Sherer as stated supply and moderator of the session.
- Sustained the exam of the Rev. Mark Brooks and licensed him to preach.
- Heard an address from Judi Hodges from Christian Education Ministries.
- Reduced the terms of call for Rev. Ben Wingard and the Crowders Creek Church.
- Reduced the terms of call for Rev. Leo Markwat and the Ebenezer Church and gave Mr. Markwat permission to labor outside the bounds of presbytery for two days a week.
- Dissolved the pastoral relationship between Rev. Shane Floyd and the Emmanuel Church effective January 31.
- Approved the organization of Christ Church Mission, Denver, NC, and approved the call to the Rev. Morrie Lawing to be its pastor.
- Approved additional funding for Christ Coastal Mission.
- Approved the transfer of Rev. Nathan Frazier to the Nashville Presbytery of the PCA.
- Appointed a committee to study the matter of appointing provisional elders to sessions.
March 12, 2013
- Removed the ordination of Peter G. Rambo, Sr. and removed him from the roll of Presbytery effective March 12, 2013.
- Approved the name change for Rock Hill Parenting Community Mission to River Crossing, ARP effective March 12, 2013.
- Heard the senior sermons of Mark G. Witte and Brooks D. Willet, examined them and licensed them effective today. Witte will be ordained at a later date. Willet will be ordained when he receives a call.
- Heard and approved the call from World Witness for Mark G. Witte as a missionary. The call is to be effective March 12, 2013.
- Received Daniel F. Wells as a licentiate by transfer from Florida Presbytery effective March 12, 2013. Wells is a member of Hill City Mission in Rock Hill, SC.
- Approved the organizing of the Grace Mission as an established congregation. A date of organization will be announced.
- Received Justin D. Brickey as a student of theology. Brickey is a member of First Columbia and is in his third year at Erskine Seminary-Columbia.
- Heard the Middler sermon of Brad Anderson, a student at Erskine Seminary.
- Approved the report of Presbytery to the General Synod.
- Elder Michael Evans from the Arsenal Hill Church presided as moderator.
- Elected Daniel Felker, elder from Centennial as vice moderator/moderator-elect. Felker will begin his service as vice moderator on July 1, 2013, and as moderator on July 1, 2014.
- Granted honorable retirement to David Rowe effective March 31, 2013.
Mississippi Valley Presbytery
- Heard sermons from Rev. Mike Yarman and Rev. Gary Jones.
- Heard a report from a special Moderator’s committee recommending against the suggestion proposed at General Synod to divide the presbytery geographically.
- Heard an address from retiring moderator of MVP, Larry Littlejohn.
- Welcomed Rev. Mike Yarman as moderator of MVP.
- Received the Ellisville Presbyterian Church (Ellisville, MS) as a full-member church of the presbytery.
- Examined and received Rev. Kent Moorlach as a minister; Rev. Moorlach accepted a call to the Richland ARP Church (Millington, TN).
- Approved the call of the Rev. Gary Jones to the Hernando Presbyterian Church (Hernando, MS); Rev. Jones had been serving as the stated supply pastor of the Hernando church.
- Approved the retirement date request of Rev. Bill Everett for December 2013; Rev. Everett has been serving as the pastor of the New Albany Presbyterian Church for more than 30 years.
- Heard a presentation by Rev. Jodie Gaston on his recent call to serve as a missionary in Wales.
- Appointed provisional sessions for the Wood Avenue and Hickory Springs (Arkansas) churches and discussed the work of revitalization of these congregations.
- Heard an exhortation by Marshall Snodgrass, chairman of the ONA (church extension) Committee, urging pastors to make the preaching of Jesus Christ crucified the central part of their ministry and sermons.