Lectures from Family Bible Conference 2021, Spiritual Life Chairman Emily Woodard:
- 400 Years in 40 Minutes… (it’s actually 53 minutes…)
- Slideshow to go with lecture: 400 years in 40 minutes PDF
“400 Years in 40 Minutes: Understanding the Books of 1 and 2 Kings” This seminar will briefly cover the major events and characters in the history of God’s people from the united kingdom under Solomon to the fall of Jerusalem. The composition, genre, and purpose of 1-2 Kings will be examined with an aim of understanding the context of the Elijah and Elisha narratives.
- Yahweh is God and God is Salvation… (43 minutes)
- Slideshow to go with lecture: Elijah and Elisha PDF
“‘Yahweh is God’ and ‘God is Salvation’: the Ministries of the Prophets Elijah and Elisha” This seminar will cover the narratives of Elijah and Elisha (1 Kings 17:1- 2 Kings 13:21) with attention given to the process of studying and teaching these sections of scripture for the ARPWM 2022 study. Topics include the division of material, themes, application, and additional resources.
“Elijah and Elisha Through the Lens of the New Testament and into Today” The historical narrative of the Old Testament reads differently than more familiar parts of Scripture and can sometimes seem strange and distant to us. This seminar will cover the basics of reading, studying, and applying the Old Testament using the lens of the New Testament, with a specific focus on the Elijah and Elisha narratives.
- The Bible Speaks Today (IVP): The Message of Kings, by John Olley
- Reformed Expository Commentary (P&R):1 Kings, and2 Kings (2 volumes), by Philip Ryken
- Focus on the Bible: 1 Kings: The Wisdom and the Folly and2 Kings: The Power and the Fury (2 vol.) by D. Ralph Davis
Sermon Audio Series
- Faithful RemnantD. Ralph Davis, 1 Kings 11- 2 Kings 1
- Life Among the RemnantD. Ralph Davis, 2 Kings 2-10
- Bible Project- 8 minute summary video! https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/kings/
- TGC/Nancy Guthrie How to Teach the Bible
It is recommended to find a map and timeline to aid your studies.
Map of Israel and Judah during the time of the divided kingdom. One that highlights the locations from the ministries of Elijah and Elisha would help as well. one example
Timeline of kings: https://tben.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/timeline-of-kings-and-prophets.gif
(All of this information can be found on http://arpwm.org/.)